Monday, November 21, 2011

Merced River

Woke up at 330am this past Saturday morning and drove out to the Merced River. I had heard that the fishing was hot last week and the Beatis were coming off pretty thick.
The trip was supposed to be me and my buddy Martin but he bailed on me at the last minute which is par for my weekend trips this fall. It was probably for the best because most of the fishing on the Merced is pocket water and its tough getting around. Martin is a little older with a bad knee.
I fished some nice seams and pockets for about an hour before hooking my first bow. A nice fat 13 inch fish. I had gone down to a 6x tippet and size 20 brown micro may so he took me down river a little ways before I could find a nice slow spot to land him.
I thought I had figured out the formula but that was the only fish of the day. I fished just about every fly in my box, fished them deep, shallow and everywhere in between.
There was a nice little hatch around 330 of some small Caddis, BWO and midges and I saw some sporadic rises. I did get a fish to come up to my #18 spotlight caddis but that was it.
If you go, take some #18 and #20Para Adams and brown and olive Micro Mays. Maybe some very small midge dries and emergers because I think that's maybe what the risers were eating but I didn't have any so I can't be sure. Take this advice with a grain of salt...I did only catch one fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment