Thursday, December 29, 2011

Everybody Fished the Little Truckee on Wednesday

Literally every fisherman in CA was at the Little Truckee on Wednesday. Martin and I arrived at about 11am since it was a cold morning and things wouldn't get going till about then...mistake.
By the time we got there there were 10 cars in every pullout and the BWO's were flying around.
I think if we had arrived at 9 we would have been able to scope out a couple holes and be there when the first hatches started, maybe had first crack at a few fish.
We followed about 15 guys and there were only a few good holding spots for fish so they must have been getting hammered.
The weather was awesome. 55 degrees with periods of sunshine and clouds. Talked to a couple guys who caught fish on #22 midges and #18 bwo dry/emerger.

I was a little bummed about getting skunked the last fishing day of 2011 but that's fishing. Especially for me lately. It seems like for the last 2 months I've been hitting spots a day or a week late, or just getting unlucky with something or other.
I actually had a thought cross my mind after fishing for nothing for about 2 hours that maybe I really don't know what the fuck I'm doing. I pictured some guy dressed in head to toe Patagonia and Fish Pond gear with a brand new Sage One rod and a goddamn Tilley hat watching me and shaking his head. Then fishing up stream from me and sticking a big brown on his first cast. This is my nightmare. That's how low my fishing confidence has become.
Luckily every guy but 2 that I ran into didn't catch shit either, and the guys that did weren't doing anything different, they just started earlier and no one caught fish after noon.
I could take solace in the fact that I've only fished the Little Tricky once before but I hold myself to a higher standard than that. Fishin is fishin. Mostly.


I am grateful for the fresh air and the smell of sage brush; for the hatch I got to watch and the fish we saw that stone walled us. And for the simple fact that I went fishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment