Monday, February 13, 2012

Yuba river Skwala's and Pinky's

After a couple of weeks of no fishing due to some travel back to Wisconsin and other stuff, I was finally able to get out to the Lower Yuba today.
I fished with friend and guide Keith Scott and his son Jonah. I was also fortunate to meet Tom Page. Tom and Keith are friends and have been fishing together for a couple of years. Tom is also a guide and has been fishing the Yuba for 25 years.
Keith brought his two man pontoon and we drifted a little section, back rowed and fished the same section a few times. I had fished this section last fall but it was higher water and there weren't any good hatches on that day. Today we had an awesome hatch of Pinky's and Skwala that started around noon and ended around 3pm.
Jonah
Keith's Taint
Tom hooked up quite a few times. I struggled a little and missed a few nice fish, but landed one really nice one on one of Tom's personal Skawla patterns. I didn't get any strikes or rises on the PMDs I was using. The PMD's on the Yuba are really pink (Pinky's). Tom and Keith both mentioned the fishing had been better at this spot for the past week...of course. "You should have been here yesterday!" I've come to love that statement.



Gray Drake
There were a lot of fish in the section of the river we were fishing and we saw some really big fish that we just couldn't get to take a fly. The fishing was technical and challenging which is why I continue to fish and love this river.

3 comments:

  1. RE: Shoulda been here yesterday...Reminds me of bird hunting as well as from one day to the next the birds can be there or not and spooky as hell but then one day you hit it just right and it all falls in place. The perfect moments. That's what keeps us all out there. We know how good it can be and it's great to live it over and over. Stay out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice report. You should have fished the Yuba this one day two years ago. It was epic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to see you've been getting into fish.
    Give a call sometime, I'm back in SF.

    ReplyDelete