Friday, March 29, 2013

Stripers in San Francisco Bay


I'm no longer employed by one of the worlds largest fly fishing companies. After 10 years on our current lease in San Francisco, Orvis decided that the rent went up to much and shut the store down. While I am a little bummed that they couldn't figure out how to open a smaller store and keep us employed, I'll never say anything bad about Orvis as a company. They treat their employees well, or as well as any other corporation I guess.
What I'm most bummed about is the lack of money going into my bank account every 2 weeks. Don't worry, I've got some stuff in the works for new revenue streams. However, until that happens I have decided that I will stick close to home, save gas, and study the pursuit of Striped Bass. 
I have a few buddies who know some killer spots in the Bay Area for Stripers. I had some success fishing yesterday just before high tide on a chartruese and white clouser tied on a 1/0 hook. I was stripping in fast with a pause every few strips. I have heard of other stripping techniques and I think all can be productive although the fast, hard strip seems to be what most guys are doing.
Today, I went out with my buddy James and when we left the house, it was warm, sunny, no wind. As soon as we parked the wind came in strong and we were pretty much doomed. It was blowing right at us, angling in from the west. I was hauling pretty hard when a gust came up and blew my fly right into the path of my right hand. If you've never buried a 1/0 hook with barb into your hand, don't start trying. And remember to de-barb your hooks. That's all I'll say about that. After I pulled this thing out and cleaned up the blood all over my rod and hands I re-tied and fished for about 20 minutes. Didn't touch a thing.
I look forward to posting more reports in the near future. I will be fishing a lot until I'm tied into another job. Stay tuned!




No comments:

Post a Comment