Sunday, October 30, 2011

Feather River and Lower Yuba

Met up with Kieth at 6am on Saturday morning with means I had to get up at 3am. We drifted the high flow section of the Feather from 7am-1:30pm. We were nymphing egg patterns and prince nymphs. Got a few squaw fish and hooked a couple small steelies. Also caught squaw fish on size 16 PMD nymphs.
The Salmon fishing is pretty much over here. We did see one bait guy catch a salmon but it was pretty dark and didn't look like it was very far from its impending meeting with the bottom of the river, or the buzzards. Lots of near death fish swimming around still.
All and all I think it will be a while before the Feather picks up for Steelhead and I wouldn't go back until then.

The Feather at 630 am.
Kieth had to cruise home for Halloween duties with his kids and I wasn't ready to call it a day so I went over to the Lower Yuba at the HWY 20 bridge. I just got a new Helios 906 tip flex and wanted to see how it threw a heavy streamer. I threw a couple different sculpin patterns for about 3 hours until it was almost dark and didn't see one fish. I saw a spin guy catch one trout but I couldn't see what he was using. The new rod worked awesome. The thing I love about the Helios tip flex is it has great power but isn't really stiff in the tip like a lot of other comparable rods. It loads up nicely without feeling like a piece of rebar.
I also had the opportunity to throw Kieth's 6wt Sage switch rod. It was really smooth and at first didn't seem like it had as much power as my Helios Switch but it definitely does. I don't think I could choose one or the other. Both really awesome rods.
The Yuba seemed to be fishing pretty slow although I may have hooked some fish with a nymph. There was a decent hatch of various mayflies and midges around 530 that looked promising. It was a bigger hatch than I had seen earlier in the summer around August. It was predominantly caddis back then and they were nowhere to be seen yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment