Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Lower Yuba 7/15

Fished up river from Parks Bar bridge from 2:30 - 6:30. It was about 100 degrees when we got there and we wanted to fish until dark. There's no way I could have stuck it out all day. I hadn't fished the Yuba for a few weeks so I had no idea what to expect. I decided to set my buddy Rob up with a nymph rig and all I did was swing soft hackles on a greased line all day. I hooked two nice fish on either a birds nest or a Partridge with green body, I never was able to tell and they both came off. Caught a dink on the Birds nest.
Rob didn't hook up but I used his rig in one spot and hooked a nice fish on FKA Prince. That fish was probably 13-14"

We went down river around 7pm and fished a nice flat until dark. We hooked 3 fish total and I landed one that was about 12 inches. It was hooked on a Partridge and green. It hit the fly and I felt the bump, I continued to let the fly swing and it came back and smacked it pretty good.


I didn't see any caddis all day but the fish seemed to like the swung caddis patterns anyways. I'd call the fishing fair. Around dark there were some tiny mayflies hatching but I don't know what they were. There weren't many of them around, they were a light grey color and size 18-20. There were an amazing amount of Dragon Flies around and I wonder if they were eating any hatching insects making them difficult to see flying around. I only saw one, maybe two real rises from feeding fish all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment