Saturday, July 7, 2012

McCloud and Pit 6/30 - 7/3

I love teaching people how to fish, but I was definitely relieved when we did our last class on June 30th.
As soon as we were finished I drove up to Ash Camp on the McCloud river and fished an awesome Golden Stone hatch. I didn't bring my camera so I don't have any pics but suffice it to say that I haven't seen a hatch like that in a long time.
Ash camp was full but some guys were nice enough to let me set up my tent at their site. The next day I hiked down the Pacific Crest Trail about 25 minutes toward Ah-Di-Nah and fished the whole way back. This took me about 9 hours and I saw only one other guy all day. I caught fish in nearly every hole. Olive Micro May was working good. Then I used a #16 natural birds nest because I saw some caddis coming off. I also had takes on the Golden Stone nymph. Hooked a few fish swinging that birds nest which was fun. Most fish were caught tight line nymphing. I had some follows from big browns in a couple pools where I took a moment to string up a big heavy sink tip but no takers.
Camped at Ash camp again that night and drove over to Pit 3 the next day. The best fly of the day was a #16 black Micro May but the big Jimmy Legs was working well also. I fished my lucky birds nest in the evening for some real hogs. The fishing was really REALLY good. Hardly any thing was rising and I fished until almost dark.
I got pretty beat up fishing for approximately 20 hours in 3 days on the McCloud and Pit so by tuesday I was tired. I met up with friend and Orvis guide Chuck from Wild Waters Fly Fishing in Mt. Shasta on Tuesday morning and he showed me an awesome spot on the Upper Sac where all of the planted trout hang out. We hooked about 20 fish in an hour and then I drove home.

I'm gonna go fish the Yuba next week so stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment